Welcome to the Cell & Tissue Analysis Core!
We would like to help you get started so that you can carry on with your science with the minimum of fuss and be able to access the numerous instruments that we have available. To that end, this has been developed as a quick and simple primer / guide for getting all the documentation in order.
The first questions….
- Is this project at a biosafety level higher than BSL-2? If so, then special arrangements will be needed to ensure containment. If the answer to this question is YES, we will require a copy of your referencing EH & S project and approval.
- Does this project involve research animals? If so, both a copy of your referencing IACUC and its approval will be needed.
The next element of getting set up is to establish a CTAC user account and a CTAC Fiscal Application. These two forms can be located in the Forms section of the site. Please note that until these are completed and submitted, you cannot access nor schedule any instrument.
If you have problems downloading or printing the forms, you can also pick up copies here in the core (MBI room LG-164). Once you have both forms filled out and signed by your PI, drop them off with Doug Smith in the main CTAC office (LG-164) and he will fill in the top section and generate your account number.
If you will be working with more than one grant, we have a system in place to track which grant you want to have charged. If this is the case, please advise Doug by phone call or stopping by and he will go over the process with you before you fill out the forms.
There will be a need for training on the instrument(s) of choice which will be necessary to familiarize yourself with it/them and its/their capabilities. Gary Brown conducts or arranges for training on the IVIS and Visualsonics machines, Doug Smith conducts training on the remainder of the instruments. Their contact information is listed on the bottom of the main page. Please call or e-mail to set up time to discuss your project, get advice on regulatory matters, or to make arrangements for instrument training.
- Each user is required to have their own individual account number; there are no “shared” or “general” lab accounts.
- Yes, even if you’re using the same funding source, we need both forms for each applicant.
- The CTAC account is valid for both the Histology Resource Lab (CTAC-HRL) and the CTAC imaging facility.